Day of Caring
MISSION BLITZ 2020:
It's May and that means its time for our annual Day of Caring "Mission Blitz." Normally lots of us gather at the church on a Saturday morning, split up into several groups and "blitz" SWLA with various mission projects. As you know, this year is anything but normal!
As an alternative, we will post a new mission project each Tuesday that you can do with your family on your own schedule and using social distancing guidelines..
We'd love to see your love in action, so please send pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org or via FB messenger to FUMC Announces.
WEEK 4 BLESS A GRADUATE
This year has been anything but normal for our high school seniors! We have 5 students who recently graduated and we would like to send them blessings from their church family to encourage them to keep pressing forward.
Ways to participate:
1 - Write a note to one or more of them.
introduce yourself, congratulate them, and share a special scripture or prayer
you can mail notes to the church or drop in offering on June 7
we will forward for you (mark as "Bless a Graduate" with their name)
2 - "Adopt" a Senior with your Sunday School class or other church group (UMW, Choir, Men's Bible study)
everyone pitch in a couple of dollars for gift or gift card
contact Melonie Himel to arrange for delivery email@example.com
WEEK 3 Blood Drive:
Blood Supply is critically low in our area right now due to the COVID-19 quarantine.
We encourage you to give blood this week if you are well and able. LifeShare Blood Center is taking additional precautions to ensure your safety during your donation!
Two Ways to participate:
1 - donate at the main LifeShare office at 214 Dr. Michael Debakey Drive.
(Memorial Day) Hours might differ
2 - donate in donor bus at First UMC
Tuesday May 26 from 4 - 7 pm
* If you are going to their office, you might call beforehand: (337) 436-4932.
* If you are going to the blood drive at the church, schedule your donation time at
WEEK 2 FOOD DROP (peanut butter & non-perishables):
The Faith & Friends Food Pantry has re-opened and needs help stocking the shelves. First Methodist has an on-going commitment to provide peanut butter (since it is a good source of protein), but of course we haven't been collecting any at the church recently! They also accept any other non-perishables.
4 WAYS to PARTICIPATE:
1 - DROP food items at the circle drive located by the Breezeway Entrance of the church (812 Kirkman St) on...
SUNDAY May 17th 9 am - 11 am (this can be your act of worship since we aren't meeting yet)
TUESDAY May 19th 12 pm - 2 pm
2 - SIGN UP to help unload food from cars on these pick up days or unload at the Food Pantry Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 pm (contact Melonie Himel)
3 - DONATE monetary gift to FUMC and mark as "Food Pantry."
We will use to purchase peanut butter and deliver to pantry.
4 - CONTACT Melonie Himel if you are not ready to get back out yet and we will arrange for a volunteer to come to your house and pick up food items from your front porch.
* peanut butter is the item most needed.
* other good items are rice, beans, box potatoes and canned goods.
* when delivering to the church, enter parking lot from Kirkman St or Pujo St.
* please do not get out of your car and please do not congregate on church grounds.
WEEK 1 NOTES TO NEIGHBORS:
Jesus tells us to love our neighbors and that means everyone in our life. However, what about your actual neighbors on the street you live on? Do you know them? Do you take time to love them? This week, drop a note to your neighbors, call them or walk by to wave and intentionally check on them.
WEEK ONE TIPS:
* if you write a note, be sure to sanitize before you deliver.
* if they don't know you well, you should include your address so they know where the note came from... or
maybe your phone number to encourage future dialogue.
* if you walk around the neighborhood, remember social distancing.
* if you know their phone number, call instead of text; it's much more meaningful.
* if children live on your street, send them their own personal note; many kids are feeling overlooked right now!