I love baseball. A colleague of mine in Illinois wrote a good piece focusing on this question: What if church were more like baseball? He suggested some of the following things:
1. Pastors who struggled with preaching pride would flip their water bottles after delivering their closing line and then walk off stage.
2. Pastors would be doused with Gatorade after an especially good Easter sermon.
3. The pastor’s favorite hymn would play over the PA system as he or she walks up to the pulpit.
4. Congregations would do the wave when the sermon got a little bit slow.
5. Pastors and staffs would whisper to each other during church services with their Bibles covering their mouths.
6. Relief preachers would come in to finish sermons when the starting preacher begins to fade.
7. Special Sundays would feature bobble-head dolls of past pastors.
8. The next participant in the worship service would be kneeling in an on-deck circle.
9. There would be a mid-point “stretch” in the service to kind of wake everyone up.
Laughter is good for our soul. Let’s remember the words of Proverbs 17:22, “A joyful heart is good medicine.”